Thursday, September 11, 2008

Random Thoughts

Its been a lazy thursday. And after another hellacious week at SPJIMR, it was nice to be able to relax a bit, sleep late and generally not do anything for a change.
Of course as I am writing this I realize that I have a DMS (Decision Making Science) mid-term coming up in couple of days, which basically means that the my R&R ends the moment this post is done.
Still it's been a good SP weekend (Wednesday night and Thursday).

For one I went out for Italian food last night, and after eating the crap the mess people have thrown at me in for another week, it was like walking into an alternate universe. Of course that makes it just as hard to step back into reality again.

Also one of my favorite footballers, Theo Walcott (yes, he plays for Arsenal) had an awesome game yesterday night for England, scoring a hattrick against Croatia. And as much as I hate seeing England win, it was great that Theo won the game for them. And interesting Arsenal turncoat David Bently who had said that Theo should leave Arsenal, saw this magnificent display from the stands (he was'nt even in the squad for England). And to top it all Theo was playing in the position that Bently hoped to make his own after Beckham's departure from the team.

Oh and I will be making my 3rd appearance on TV on a channel called UTVi, in a program called Cracking Careers, for a 30 second sound byte. My previous 2 appearances included a show which was done by UTVi again on Independence day at the SPJIMR campus and a small segment on CNBC a couple of days ago when they spoke to B-School students about the Nuke deal. I know it's not much, but hey not many people can claim they have been on television thrice in the space of 2 months. :)

And finally on a slightly sour note, I read in TOI today that some girl committed suicide after reading the numerous reports on newspaper and the Web, that the world was going to come to and end because of the LHC experiment (see my previous post). Supposedly she couldn't handle the suspense and popped some pills. Now although this is a an extreme case (and sounds kind of fishy to me), it neverthless shows the irresponsible reporting that has been associated with the LHC experiment. For instance Rediff.com's headline was "A Wednesday! Will the world survive it?", this either shows either a gross lack of knowledge or a pure disregard for facts. In fact just to clarify the LHC experiment has just begun and it might take a while to genereate any results (meaningful or otherwise) let alone cause world destruction. And despite repeated assurances from scientists that the whole black hole fears were unjustified and a statistical improbability, a certain section of the media has just ignored them. And while I have absolute respect for most of media in general, some of them can be just pure as****es.
And just to clarify my last post, I dont believe that the world will come to an end and that we should'nt be thinking of the netherworld just yet. It was just an interesting thought.
And for anyone who might still be waiting for doomsday, read this nice piece for clarification:
http://news.economist.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/eBbUo0YNyd60Mo0FGgy0E5

Random Quote for the Day: "Europe's Large Hadron Collider just fired up. It's a $10 billion particle accelerator designed to probe the mysteries of the universe. I think it is worth the money if we can find just one unicorn. But I would also settle for an elf, or free will, or Jimmy Hoffa's body. I'm just saying I'm not fussy when it comes to discovering stuff." - Scott Adams

No comments: